Scholarly. Energetic. Socially active.
These words have described Saint Rose since 1920, when the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondelet—known for their dedication to unity with all people—founded the college. From the outset, while building on a liberal arts curriculum, the College emphasized the professional training of teachers for which it is renowned even today, along with a diverse offering of majors and programs. In the early years, that emphasis expanded to prepare women for business and other professions. Men were first admitted as the College opened its evening division for World War II veterans in 1946 and the graduate school three years later. In 1969 Saint Rose become fully coeducational.
From those beginnings, Saint Rose grew into what it is today: a progressive, independent college sponsored by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondelet.
The College of Saint Rose community engages highly motivated undergraduate and graduate students in rigorous educational experiences. In the progressive tradition of the founding Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, we welcome students from all religious and cultural backgrounds. In addition to developing their intellectual capacities, students have the opportunity to cultivate their creative and spiritual gifts in a diverse learning community that fosters integrity, interdependence, and mutual respect.
The College delivers distinctive and comprehensive liberal arts and professional programs that inspire our graduates to be productive adults, critical thinkers, and motivated, caring citizens. Our engagement with the urban environment expands the setting for educational opportunities and encourages the Saint Rose community’s energetic involvement and effective leadership in society.